Friday, April 5, 2013

Mom Meals: Pot Roast




Pot roast is one of Matt's favorite dishes. While it can take up to 4 hours to make, with a little help from Trader Joe's, you can significantly decrease the time. When I don't plan ahead, I just throw all the ingredients in a pot over the stove and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Since I did plan for this post, I used a slow cooker to let the juices get extra flavorful!

Pot Roast
Serves 4

1 package Trader Joe's precooked Pot Roast
1 package Trader Joe's Teeny Tiny Potatoes {perfect size for little hands}
4 Carrots, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
1 pound Green Beans
2-3 cups Beef Stock
1/2 cup Red Wine {optional, but it gives the sauce a richer flavor}

1. Place potatoes (including the rosemary in the package), green beans, and carrots in a slow cooker
2. Place pot roast on top
3. Add in beef stock and red wine
4. Turn slow cooker on low, cover, and heat for 2 hours. Break the meat up 30 minutes before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for posting this! I am a new mom, whose hubby is deployed and was getting SO tired of eating random food and was craving a real meal. I saw this at Trader Joes, and bought it without really thinking about how to prepare/what to do with it. This just made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! so glad you were able to use the recipe! congrats on your new bundle of joy!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I hadn't tried the pot roast from TJ's before, and I was wondering how I was going to get my potatoes and carrots flavored right if I just microwaved the meat as directed. Now I've got it in the slowcooker, and with (to me) the all important bay leaf. And I really like my pot roast falling apart, so I'm sure this will help it along

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: So yummy! But... my slow cooker must be different than yours. After 2 hours on low, my Teeny Tiny Potatoes and carrots were still rock hard. I ended up transferring it all to a pot on the stovetop for about 40 minutes, until they were tender. Glad it was just me, and not making it for dinner for my DH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Did you think you need to sear the roast?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...