Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mom Meals: Caprese


Lately I've been making the same things for dinner, and I'm starting to get a little bored. I'm sure my family is too. I'm going to try to mix things up a bit, and I'll try to post a Mom Meal once a week to motivate me to try new recipes. 

Caprese

This dish was inspired from the recipe "Mozza Caprese" in Nancy Silverton's book "The Mozza Cookbook." Osteria Mozza is one of my favorite restaurants, and when I went to The Taste LA, I was fortunate to meet co-owner Nancy Silverton. She's amazing! This recipe is more of an appetizer, but it was so easy and delicious!

1 1/2 pounds fresh burrata
Sea Salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Basil Pesto {the book has a recipe, but I just bought premade pesto}
30-40 Cherry Tomatoes {I used grape tomatoes since my grocery store only had those}
Fresh Basil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1. Preheat the oven to 300 F
2. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet
3. Place the tomatoes on the rack, brush with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper
4. Place the tomatoes in the oven for about an 1 1/2 hours until the skins shrivel a bit. Remove from oven and allow them to cool
5. Cut the burrata and lay a segment, cut side up, on a plate
6. Season with sea salt and spoon 1 teaspoon of pesto over the cheese
7. Place a cluster of tomatoes over the cheese.
8. Drizzle with olive oil 
9. Scatter chopped basil over each salad
10. Serve with toasted thick bread if you want to make it a little heartier

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...