Monday, April 21, 2014

Ava Madeline Kelly

Sorry for the silence! I've been wanting to share Ava's birth story forever now, but I'm finally finding the time and energy to type it out! Here it is:

During the last few weeks of my pregnancy, I had been waking up in the middle of the night uncomfortable with some back pain. At 38 weeks, on March 26, 2014, I woke up at 2am feeling the same type of pain, and hung out in the living room to try to get comfortable. Around 3am, I noticed my back pain increasing and then going away. I started timing when the pains occurred, and after 45 minutes, I came to the realization that baby was coming. I woke Matt up at around 4:30am to tell him the news, and unlike with Leah, Matt popped up and got ready to go! I called my parents at 5am to drive up to take care of Leah. I was hoping I could wait until they got here to go to the hospital, but at 5:30am, the contractions were getting really strong, and we woke Leah up. She was such a trooper, and was in a good mood. Since she didn't really understand the urgency of needing to leave the house, she insisted on eating her breakfast first, which I couldn't deny her. :) So I patiently waited for her to finish her waffle before we left the house.

Last picture of Leah as an only child

As we were driving, Matt and I looked at each other and finally decided on the name! We arrived at the hospital at around 5:45am, and I was 3 cm when I was checked in Triage. My parents got to the hospital around 6:15am, and I was actually so sad to see Leah go. I teared up a little bit when she left the room. This was my last moment with her as my baby. I was moved to Labor and Delivery, and they asked me if I wanted to get the epidural now or wait. With Leah, I waited until I was 5cm dilated, but the contractions the second time around were way more intense, and I asked for it now. I felt like a million bucks after the epidural, and now it was just a waiting game. The epidural did slow down my labor a little bit, but once my water broke at around 9am at 4cm, it picked back up. At 11:30am, the nurse came to check on me, and I told her I was feeling the urge to push, so she said she would tell the midwife to check on my status. The OB resident walked in around 11:45am and said I wasn't quite ready to deliver yet. Then the midwife came in at noon, and lo and behold it was time! The staff quickly prepared me and the room for delivery, and then I finally heard the word to push! This delivery was different from Leah's, in that they rolled me on to my side. I pushed literally for a second or two, and the midwife told me to stop and to blow! At first I was totally confused what she meant by blow, but then I got the hang of it. At 12:29pm, after about 3-4 pushes and several more blows, out came Ava Madeline Kelly in less than 10 minutes at 7 lbs 11 ounces and 20 inches {a pound bigger than Leah}! It was pretty insane how quickly this all happened. Matt and I were so excited to meet the newest member of our family.

My parents came back to the hospital with Leah at around 1:30pm, and Leah was thrilled to meet her baby sister. She sat with me on the bed, patting Ava and admiring her. It was the sweetest thing to see. She said "Baby not in mommy's tummy anymore. That's funny!" haha! Having my two girls next to me was such a special moment. Welcome to the world Ava! Our family is officially complete!

I'm hoping to share what life has been like the past 3 weeks soon!

*Last 4 photos by Bob Cho


  1. Awwww! Congratulations again on the addition and completion of your family.

  2. This made me tear up! So excited for your family!

  3. Truly loved reading this; congrats dear!! Hope you are loving every minute with your two girls. xo

  4. This made me all teary-eyed. Loved catching up on your blog.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...